Questions? This FAQ will help you out!
Here you can find all the information about Sandbox 2017 and answers to your questions. We try to answer all questions as accurately as possible, but we kindly ask you to check all information on the website and FAQ section before contacting us.
Sandbox is a yearly festival held on Egyptian beaches since 2013. Sandbox will be 5 years old this year and we are pretty stoked to say the least. This is not your traditional big headliner festival with 70 DJs or more, it is a much more intimate gathering amongst strangers that quickly feel like friends as they all appreciate longer set times and more live acts that complement the organic element of being at the beach.
Our top priority is to promote this full experience through our unparalleled Egyptian climate (kiting, diving, snorkeling, or bumming it out by the sea), our line up of local and international artists, and of course our guests who make Sandbox what it is. This festival is largely intended for all our international guests as well as those coming from inside Egypt, who would not only want to attend an electronic music festival but also take a vacation to enjoy everything that our beautiful weather and seaside have to offer.
We would love it if all our guests could not only come to our festival but to also come enjoy an Egyptian paradise in El Gouna.
We really hope we all get to play together in one big happy SANDBOX!
Where and when will Sandbox 2017 take place?
- El Gouna, Hurghada, Egypt by the Red Sea.
- 4th, 5th and 6th of May, 2017.
Why should I attend Sandbox 2017?
Love, music, friends, dance, sun, sea and sand – That is why you should attend!
What is the minimum age to attend Sandbox 2017?
- The minimum age to attend the festival is 21.
- This is a strict rule and anyone born in 1997 or later, even if accompanied by an adult, will not be permitted entrance into the festival.
- El Gouna is a small, relaxed & easy town located 20 km before Hurghada, Egypt.
- With its little boutique hotels and beaches, it is a place where you can find peace as well as a lot of Action.
- With a wide variety of high-end restaurants offering worldwide cuisines perfect for any meal during the day or night, and a selection of bars and clubs scattered all around the town, El Gouna is definitely a place worth exploring when you are not inside the festival grounds.
- El Gouna has a lot to offer from diving and horseback riding to kite surfing, trekking and other outdoor activities as well as being the generous host to Sandbox 2017.
- El Gouna is a safe haven far removed from any disturbances associated with the big capital city of Cairo.
What should I expect from the Sandbox 2017 venue?
The Sandbox 2017 venue is a custom built festival ground located on a beach stretch along the shore of El Gouna, Red Sea.
- The closest airport to Gouna is the Hurghada International Airport (HRG) welcomes flights from all around the world as well as domestic flights. Transport to El Gouna (approximately 20 KM away) is readily available from the Airport.
- If direct connections are not found to HRG, then we recommend transiting through Cairo International Airport; CAI is the main Egyptian airport, receives a wide range of flights globally. Transport to El Gouna is also an option (approximately 447 km from Cairo).
- Buses and cars to El Gouna are available from any governorate within Egypt to transport you directly to El Gouna.
- A network of shuttle buses will be available within El Gouna to transport you from designated bus stops to the festival and back.
Do I Need a visa to get into Egypt?
Nationals of the countries listed below, can obtain a visa upon arrival at any Egyptian point of entry:
- As well as; Croatia, Georgia, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Macedonia, Republic of Korea, Russian Federation, Serbia, Ukraine
Nationals of the countries listed below, are exempt from obtaining a visa:
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
Nationals of the countries listed below and any other countries not mentioned must apply for a visa through their nearest Egyptian Consulate or Embassy:
- Sudan (non residents in the UK)
- Sierra Leone
- Sri Lanka
Tourist Visa is usually valid for a period not exceeding three months and granted on either single or multiple entry basis.
For more information visit http://www.cairo-airport.com/pass_visa1.asp
Where can I stay in El Gouna during Sandbox 2017?
- A full list of special Sandbox rates hotels is available only at www.supercoucou.com/country/EGYPT/offers/38
- Only Sandbox Full Festival Ticket holders are eligible for these rates. You must purchase your pass before you book a room.
Is Egypt a safe country to travel to?
- You will find the security situation in Egypt (as in many countries) is frequently exaggerated by Western media outlets, creating negative impressions. The Egyptian authorities have put rigid policies directed at keeping tourists safe. Egypt relies heavily on foreign tourism for its national income and both Egyptians and their government are extremely keen to prevent any occurrence that might create a bad impression and keep tourists away.
- In general, Egypt is a safe country to travel. Egyptians are very friendly - if you are in need of assistance they will generally try to help you as much as they are able, more than any one can imagine.
What is the currency in Egypt?
- If you want to exchange your home currency to Egyptian Pound (known as EGP or LE). You can do so at the airport, at currency exchange offices around the country or at the banks.
The rate changes slightly every day so if you want to know the latest rate, you can visit this website www.xe.com/currencyconverter/
- You may exchange US Dollars and Euros at Sandbox according to the official rates of the day.
- If you have a debit or credit card from your country, it will probably work in Egypt and you can withdraw money in EGP from any cash machine. However it is better to bring cash with you just in case your bank is not supported in Egypt.
What is the dress code like in Sandbox 2017 and Egypt?
FESTIVAL & GOUNA:
The festival and the small town where it is located are by the beach so you can wear whatever you want there. In fact, beach wear is highly advisable but do not forget to bring a jacket in case it gets a bit chilly at night.
In this big city, we recommend that women dress modestly, with shoulders and knees covered especially when sightseeing or roaming the streets. Except of course if you're going clubbing in Cairo, then the modest dress code doesn’t apply.
Early Bird // *Limited amount only* January 23rd to February 7th
Tier 1 // February 8th to March 15th
Tier 2 // March 16th to April 15th
Tier 3 // April 16th to May 3rd
How do I purchase my Sandbox 2017 passes?
Follow the below steps to purchase your Sandbox 2017 passes:
1. Request your unique code from the Nacelle team by contacting +20 102 070 1701 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to get your booking code if you are booking from inside Egypt. *Skip this step and go straight to Step 2 if you are booking from outside of Egypt - you will not be prompted to enter a code in this case.
2. Go to www.sandboxfestival.com and enter your code
3. Select BOOK
4. Enter your details and make sure to enter a working email because that's where you'll receive your electronic pass
5. Select quantity of tickets and enter your friends' details (do NOT use the same email more than once)
6. Choose your method of payment
7. Wait for the confirmation email within 48 hours
8. If you selected to pay by card, you'll receive a link to pay online with your confirmation email. If you selected to pay in person, just call our sales team on +20 102 070 1701 to arrange the time & location
9. You'll be sent your e-ticket upon payment
I did not receive my confirmation e-mail, what should I do?
There can be a delivery issue for various reasons. In order to solve this we kindly ask you to:
- Double check your SPAM, Unwanted or mail Quarantine folder.
- Resubmit the preregistration form and double check the entered e-mail.
If this still doesn’t work, please try to register with a gmail or hotmail mailbox. These are known to work well and do not block the registration mails.
Is there a limit to the number of Sandbox 2017 tickets I can purchase?
- You can purchase up to 20 tickets under one reservation.
- Purchasing more than 20 tickets at a time will require you to go back and make a new reservation under a new name.
- All details and a separate and valid e-mail for each person under the reservation must be entered when registering for Sandbox 2017 passes.
What are the payment methods during ticket sale?
The following payment methods are available:
- Cash payments are accepted in person only to designated Sandbox Sales Team representatives.
- Credit/Debit card payments are accepted online at www.sandboxfestival.com
Check if the spending limit of your credit card is high enough and if you are allowed to make international payments (to Egypt). Otherwise please contact your bank. Failed payments will not be reprocessed and your application will automatically be rejected.
- Please make sure to activate your pass at www.sandboxfestival.com/activation during our 2 week activation period before the start of the event.
- Please make sure to bring a copy (on your smartphone, or print out) to the festival.
Why do I need to activate my Sandbox 2017 Ticket?
- You will not be permitted access until you complete the activation process.
- The activation booth will be open and accessible during festival working hours, but we cannot guarantee how fast this process will be and you may end up spending extra time at the door.
Can I cancel my ticket?
- Tickets cannot be cancelled/refunded. All purchases are final.
- If you no longer wish to use your ticket or can’t use it anymore,you may exchange it with someone else. If you would like to change the name on the ticket, please e-mail email@example.com with original name, replacement name, phone number and e-mail. You will be contacted in order to confirm your request.
- We strongly discourage to buy tickets from other people, as we cannot guarantee the validity of the ticket being sold. The name on this ticket cannot be changed! If the name on the ticket/ bracelet does not match the name on the ID, the organization reserves the right to deny access (even with a mandate of the original owner).
- You can check-in to the festival grounds anytime during operating hours and will be allowed to leave and come back as you please.
- Please make sure to scan your Sandbox bracelet on your way in and out of the festival grounds in order to avoid your Sandbox bracelet from being suspended.
Will I have to be walking around with cash on me at Sandbox 2017?
- On the Sandbox 2017 festival grounds the bars, food stalls, merchandise shop and all vendors do not accept the exchange of cash money.
- The Sandbox 2017 bracelet is an RFID card, which you top up with any amount of money at the festival’s Bank Station(s). You will find those easily.
- After topping up your Sandbox 2017 bracelet with the desired amount, you can check on the Sandbox Festival App to know how much you still have on it and to manage your spending.
- Refund of any money on the card is accepted at any time during the festival’s working hours from Thursday 4th of May to Saturday 6th of May.
Where can I find information on the shuttles inside and outside of El Gouna?
All Shuttle information both inside and outside of El Gouna will be available directly on the Sandbox Festival App.
Are lockers available at Sandbox 2017?
- Yes, you can store your valuable belongings without having to worry about loss or theft. We ask for a small contribution for hiring a locker during the weekend/day.
- During the opening hours, lockers are continuously under surveillance. The lockers are always accessible for the people who rent them.
Is there a doctor’s clinic at Sandbox 2017?
Yes, a doctor and clinic are available on the festival grounds during all operational hours. El Gouna Hospital is 5 minutes away from the Festival grounds for cases that may need extra care. If you need to take prescribed medication due to health problems, you need to be in possession of a valid medical certificate. We can only allow these specific medications if you can present a valid medical certificate at the entrance.
Sandbox conducts an absolute zero tolerance policy with regard to drugs.
Safety and Security
- The small town of El Gouna, Hurghada is very peaceful and secured by private and public security forces and is governed by Egyptian Law.
- Security will be present on festival ground to maintain peace and handle any violations.
What is the SANDBOX CAREBOX?
Your safety and well-being has always been a priority at SANDBOX festivals and just like every year, a CAREBOX has been set up with professional medical personnel to ensure you are well taken care of throughout the festival.
Below are a few health and safety tips to help you make the best out of your SANDBOX festival experience.
1. BE SAFE
You can make the most of your music festival experience by partying safely. Keep tabs on how much alcohol you’re drinking and avoid binge drinking. It is strongly advisable
not to have more than one drink per hour. While drugs may seem fun, they are illegal and also dangerous as you don’t know what’s in them or how they’ll affect you. NEVER mix alcohol and other drugs, you can’t know how they will react and the mixing can often make you very sick or render you unconscious.
2. BE HYDRATED
Partying on the beach under the sun is great but it can also have it’s downside. Heat stroke can happen easily, especially when you’re under the hot sun. You can avoid dehydration by drinking plenty of water, especially if you’re drinking alcohol since alcohol and stimulants such as energy drinks make it hard for your body to cool down.
Always carry a bottle of water around with you to ensure adequate hydration. You can also decrease your chances of getting a heat stroke by wearing a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses, and hanging out in shaded areas when you can.
3. BE CHILL
Being at a festival can be very exciting, spending the whole day on the beach swimming and dancing to your favourite DJs can make you forget to rest, remember this is a 3-day festival so pace yourself and remember to take some time out.
There are many chill out areas so make sure you recuperate and get enough water and food in your system.
CAREBOX offers rehydration formulas and a recuperation zone. Feel free to visit if you feel fatigued or if you just need a break or medical advice.
4. BE PREPARED
● Loud speakers pumping mesmerizing tunes with the deepest bass in town is part of a great festival experience but it can also damage your hearing. Be prepared and protect your ears with earplugs and/or make sure you move away from the speakers every once in a while.
● Protect yourself from heat stroke by wearing a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses.
● Dancing barefoot can be liberating but it can also mean some unavoidable injuries so it is advisable to wear comfortable protective shoes and avoid trampling on other people's bare feet whenever you can.
● Protective shoes are also advisable while swimming to avoid sharp sea shells which are known to be in the shallow waters of El Gouna.
● El Gouna is usually very windy and especially chilly at night so make sure you have an extra layer or two for night time partying.
5. BE MY BUDDY
Using a ‘Buddy system’ where you look out for a friend and they look out for you is extremely useful. Organise a time and meeting place with your buddy in case you get lost or want to split off to explore different things. Don’t rely on your phone, as you may run out of charge or it may be too loud to communicate.
6. BE CAREFUL
Drink spiking is when a person deliberately adds alcohol or another drug like GHB or Rohypnol to your drink without you knowing. This can make you feel ‘out of it’ unexpectedly, if that happens please, seek help at CAREBOX immediately. Don’t share with or accept drinks from people you don’t know or trust and don't leave your drink unattended.
7. BE WISE, DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE!
One of the biggest advantages of SANDBOX and EL Gouna is offering reliable transportation day and night throughout the whole festival and there’s never an excuse to drive under influence. If you still decide to take your car make sure you assign a designated driver to take you back, the designated driver should not drink any alcohol. If the designated driver ends up consuming any alcoholic beverages it is best to leave the car and use SANDBOX or El Gouna transportation services.
8. BE HELPFUL
In case you run into someone who is injured or not feeling well, ask them if they need help and advice them to seek medical care at CAREBOX. In case that person is in no condition to move or is unresponsive ask someone to notify CAREBOX immediately and stay with that person until help arrives. Make sure you familiarize yourself with CAREBOX location as soon as you arrive on the festival grounds.
9. BE HAPPY
It’s been scientifically proven that HAPPY people are HEALTHY people. Have FUN!
Please make sure to check the FAQ first, before contacting us. This way we can limit the amount of mails in the info mailbox and be able to answer the most important questions in detail. E-mails containing questions of which the answers can be found on the website may therefore not be answered.
- Please submit your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Sandbox 2017 Questions”
- Or call +20 102 070 1701 with your inquiry from 11h00 to 19h00 GMT on weekdays (Sunday to Thursday).